“Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.”
On May 10th, 1930, on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C., the national Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members:
- Omega Psi phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta phi Beta sororities.
- In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the council.
- In 1937, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined the council.
- In 1997, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity joined the council.
Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the state of Illinois and became known as “the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
The NPHC was chartered at the University of Florida on February 23, 1993
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. is composed of nine International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities:
- 1906 Cornell University Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- Theta Sigma Chapter Founded at UF 1973
- 1908 Howard University Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Iota Lambda Chapter Founded at UF 1975
- 1911 Indiana University Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
- Zeta Phi Chapter Founded at UF 1972
- 1911 Howard University Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
- Omicron Zeta Chapter Founded at UF 1973
- 1913 Howard University Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
- Lambda Psi Chapter Founded at UF 1975
- 1914 Howard University Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
- Zeta Kappa Chapter Founded at UF 1974
- 1920 Howard University Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
- Mu Epsilon Chapter Founded at UF in 1974
- 1922 Butler University Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
- Lambda Rho Chapter Founded at UF 1990
- 1963 Morgan State University Iota Phi Theta Fraternity
- Gamma Omicron Chapter Founded at UF 1998